Formatting of hard drive is a process of preparing a hard drive or portable disk medium for storing digital information that is user data. In several instances, the formatting function may also create one or more new file system. Formatting a disk for use with an operating system and its applications is classified into two levels. The formatting course of action, which performs the basic medium preparation, is often referred to as ‘low-level formatting’. The formatting process that involves generating of a new file system is most often refers to the term ‘high level formatting’. In Macintosh operating systems, the two processes are merged and the phrase “format” is understood to indicate a process in which a new disk medium is completely prepared to store files. In other hand, formatting of a hard drive erases the previously stored files and folders. However, accidental formatting of Mac hard drive may result in a loss of files on Mac system. In such situation, in order to perform Mac partition recovery after formatting or recover data after reinstalling Mac, you need to make use of a suitable Mac data recovery software.
Various case scenarios in which the loss of data on Mac system can take place due to formatting of hard drive are briefly explained below.
- Accidental formatting of wrong volume: There are situations when you want to reinstall the Macintosh operating system and in such a situation, it is important to reformat the existing Mac hard disk volumes. While formatting if you have accidentally formatted the wrong volume then this could lead to the loss of files. You may also wind up formatting a partition on your hard drive by accident.
- Formatting of removable volume: Suppose you may have connected the portable hard drive to your Mac computer through USB port and unintentionally format it by making use of ‘Format’ command. However, this may lead to loss of Mac files.
- Disk Utility: In Mac OS X, Disk Utility is a multi-use utility for functioning with hard disks, disk images, and other magnetic medium. Disk Utility can be used for performing disk related tasks in Mac OS X that includes the following functions.
- You can use this for removing, formatting, and partitioning the hard disk volumes.
- To perform a function that repairs file systems and file permissions.
- To mount, create, and modify disk images.
- Manually take out removable media in case the other methods fail.
Consider if you have accidentally deleted the volume, in which important files have been stored, by using delete option provided in Disk Utility. Then this situation may cause the loss of Mac data. However, it is possible to perform Mac recovery from deleted partition (volume).
Formatting erases the all files but you need not to worry even the backup is not available. The Mac data recovery software will help you to recover data after reinstalling Macintosh. This proficient Mac file recovery tool can also be used to recover lost partition on Mac. You can make use of this tool in order to recover deleted or lost files from HFS+ and HFSX formatted Mac volumes. You can also download the demo version of this tool to understand software features.